ATHENS, Ohio -- On Dec. 3, 1968, the Ohio men's basketball team defeated Indiana, 80-70, in the opening game at the Convocation Center.
Over the last half-century, the iconic "Roundhouse On Richland" has been the host to countless memorable moments, serving as the home for Ohio's men's basketball, women's basketball, volleyball and wrestling programs as well as many concerts and campus events.
Ohio Athletics will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Convocation Center on Saturday, Feb. 2 with a Sibs Weekend basketball doubleheader as the women's team battles Ball State at 1 p.m. ET and the men's team takes on Akron at 3:30 p.m. ET. Tickets for the doubleheader are $5 and include admission to both games.
The gameday atmosphere surrounding the doubleheader will have a throwback feel to it. Celebration elements are set to include:
• Men's team wearing 1968 throwback uniforms
• Women's team wearing 1980s throwback uniforms
• Cheer and dance teams and Rufus the Bobcat in retro gear
• Retro Ohio "Attack Cat" logo displayed on the court
• Retro music playlist
• Commemorative 50th anniversary posters for the first 2,000 fans in attendance
• Men's basketball reunion attendees introduced to the crowd
• Women's basketball reunion attendees introduced to the crowd
• Internationally known entertainer, Red Panda, to perform at halftime of the men's basketball game
A social media campaign celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Convo will also debut in January on both Ohio's university and athletics social media platforms.
Click here for ticket information or call 1-800-575-CATS (2287).