ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio volleyball team (8-5) is set to begin Mid-American Conference play at the Convocation Center this weekend against Bowling Green (6-6) and Miami (5-6). OU will take on BG at 7 p.m. on Friday (Sept. 27) and Miami (Sept. 28) on Saturday at 5 p.m.
Before our match on Friday, head coach Deane Webb will give a "chalk talk" inside the Rohr Room of The Convo one hour prior to first serve. The chalk talk is free and open for anyone to attend.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Ohio went 2-1 last weekend, defeating New Mexico and Kansas State at the North Texas Challenge. Ohio was named the tournament champion, and junior middle blocker Tia Jimerson (Sugar Hill, Ga.) was named the tournament MVP.
- Junior setter Vera Giacomazzi (San Vendemiano, Italy) dished out an Ohio 25-point rally scoring era record 74 assists in OU's win over Kansas State last weekend. Her 74 assists are the highest total in the NCAA this season and is the third-highest in program history, including side-out scoring and 30-point rally scoring. Giacomazzi didn't just hand out assists against Kansas State as she had seven digs, seven blocks and three aces in the victory. Giacomazzi was named MAC Setter of the Week for her performance.
- Junior middle blocker Tia Jimerson (Sugar Hill, Ga.) was named MAC Defensive Player of the Week after being awarded North Texas Challenge Most Valuable Player this past week. Jimerson hit .452 during the tournament and racked up a team-high 46 kills.
- Giacomazzi is No. 3 in the nation in total assists with 566. Her 74 assists in Ohio's match against Kansas State is the highest total in the NCAA this season.
- Senior outside hitter Lizzie Stephens (Dallas, Texas) is only 19 kills away from a career 1000. Stephens is ranked No. 27 in the nation in service aces.
SCOUTING BOWLING GREEN
Bowling Green is 8-5 this season after going 1-1 in the Queen City Classic, beating Xavier. Petra Indriva averages 3.44 kills per set and leads the team in points with 159.0. Isabelle Marciniak averages 9.26 in assists per set and Katie Kidwell leads the team with 55 total blocks. BG is ranked ninth in the country in digs with 17.91, while libero Katie Walz is No. 6 in the nation in digs per set at 5.79. Walz is No. 15 in the country in total digs with 249.
Miami (Ohio) enters this weekend with an 6-6 record. Last weekend, Miami went 1-2 in the Buckeye Invitational and earned a win over Illinois State while falling to Dayton and Ohio State. Margaret Payne leads the Redhawks with 116.5 points, averaging 2.51 kills per set and .77 blocks per set. Morgan Seaman lwith 5.28 assists per set and Louise Comerford follows closely behind with 5.16. Miami is No. 160 in the nation in kills per set at 12.46.